This program takes the spiritual and nostalgic atmosphere of the crypt as inspiration. Each of the pieces is deeply human, as befits a set for voices unaccompanied, with works inspired by Sufism, silence, cooking, and humor.
- Forrest Pierce – Tighten to Nothing (2012)
- Taylor Brook – Motorman Sextet (2013) Ekmeles commission
- Lucia Ronchetti – Anatra al sal (2004) U.S. Premiere
- Agata Zubel – Alphabet of the Ars Brevis (2016)
- Evan Johnson – Three in, ad abundantiam (2012)
- Evan Johnson – vo mesurando (2012)
Ekmeles personnel for concert
- Charlotte Mundy, soprano
- Elisa Sutherland, mezzo soprano
- Tim Keeler, countertenor
- Steven Bradshaw, tenor
- Jeffrey Gavett, baritone and director
- Steven Hrycelak, bass
Ekmeles’s 2018-2019 season is made possible with funds from the Amphion Foundation, The Aaron Copland Fund for Music, and the generosity of private donors.
Ekmeles in Manhattan Spring 2019 is made possible in part with public funds from Creative Engagement, supported by New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature and administered by LMCC; and funding from the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation and administered by LMCC.
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.