May 11, 2023 at 1:15PM, at the Actor’s Chapel St. Malachy Roman Catholic Church, Ekmeles explores the music of Don Carlo Gesualdo through the lens of lute tuning. The six singers of Ekmeles are joined by Adam Cockerham, lutenist, with whom they will demonstrate the effect that the lute’s tuning had on the expressive qualities of the madrigals. To highlight this quality, a didactic work by Crescentio will be given its modern premiere in contrasting approaches to tuning.
- Carlo Gesualdo – Mentre, mia stella miri
- Carlo Gesualdo – Sparge la morte al mio Signor nel viso
- Simon Crescentio – Tu parti, ohime (modern premiere)
- Carlo Gesualdo – Se vi duol il mio duolo
- Carlo Gesualdo – Moro, lasso
- Carlo Gesualdo – Chiaro risplender suole
Total duration of the program is approximately 45 minutes without intermission.
Personnel for concert
- Charlotte Mundy, soprano
- Elisa Sutherland, mezzo soprano
- Timothy Parsons, countertenor
- Steven Bradshaw, tenor
- Jeffrey Gavett, baritone and director
- Steven Hrycelak, bass
- Adam Cockerham, lute
Ekmeles’s 2022-2023 season is made possible with funds from the Amphion Foundation, The Aaron Copland Fund for Music, The Alice M. Ditson Fund, The Fritz Reiner Center for Contemporary Music, by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature. This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council. Ekmeles is a recipient of the 2023 Ernst von Siemens Music Foundation Ensemble Prize.
Tags: Carlo Gesualdo, Simon Crescentio